Sunday, July 27, 2014

Wittgenstein and Scientific Realism (and the Atom Bomb)
In 2012 I gave a seminar on Wittgenstein’s later philosophy at Tel Aviv University. The following is the text of the second of two powerpoints I used as the basis for lectures in that seminar. For the other powerpoint, see the previous post. Each of these powerpoints covers material I dealt with in a number of meetings.

Scientific Realism: “Terms in a mature science typically refer and theories accepted in a mature science are typically approximately true” [I attribute this to Richard Boyd in my Meaning and the Moral Sciences (1978), 20ff]

Moreover, “ realism is the only philosophy  that doesn’t make the success of science a miracle.” [me, in Meaning and the Moral Sciences and more recently “On Not Writing Off Scientific Realism”; all references to my papers in the following are to articles now collected in Philosophy in an Age of Science]

I maintained [and still maintain in 2014!] an allegiance to scientific realism even during my internal realist period [See “From Quantum Mechanics to Ethics and Back Again”]

In chapter 4 of Reason, Truth and History, I even tried to reconcile a physicalist account of qualia like Ned Block’s with “internal realism” and with Wittgenstein by downgrading it to just one more language game.

In my Royce Lectures (Part II of The Threefold Cord: Mind, Body and World), I had given up “internal realism”, but I also gave up the idea of finding correlations between brainstates and qualia, claiming that there is no well-defined relation of identity between qualia (and hence talk of qualia is a confusion—a “Wittgensteinian” moment in my thinking. This is the publication in which the expression “not fully intelligible” made frequent occurrences. I now think both these developments were misguided - as explained in my “Wittgenstein: A Reappraisal” and “Naïve Realism and Qualia” (the latter is forthcoming in a Festschrift for Ned Block).

Where does this put me in relation to Wittgenstein?

Well, Wittgenstein’s views on the relation of science and philosophy are, to put it mildly, a mess. On the one hand, speaking as a thinker but not in his professional philosopher capacity, he had some very negative-sounding things to say about science. Here is an example:
“The truly apocalyptic view of the world is that things do not repeat themselves. It isn’t absurd, e.g., to believe that the age of science and technology is the beginning of the end for humanity; that the idea of great progress is delusion, along with the idea that the truth will ultimately be known; that there is nothing good or desirable about scientific knowledge and that mankind, in seeking it, is falling into a trap. It is by no means obvious that this is not how things are.” [emphasis added-HP]
And again:
“The hysterical fear over the atom bomb now being experienced, or at any rate expressed, by the public almost suggests that at last something really salutary has been invented. The fright at least gives the impression of a really effective bitter medicine. I can’t help thinking: if this didn’t have something good about it the philistines wouldn’t be making an outcry. But perhaps this too is a childish idea. Because really all I can mean is that the bomb offers a prospect of the end, the destruction, of an evil, our disgusting soapy water science.”

On the other hand, in the Tractatus period, he said both that “what can be said” (i.e. all that is cognitively meaningful) is “propositions of natural science”—what has “nothing to do with philosophy”­—and “We feel that even if all possible scientific questions be answered, the problems of life have still not been touched at all.” (Tractatus 6.52) Of course, even this limited privileging of science (even if it doesn’t “touch the problems of life”) disappears in the later philosophy,
In any case, I believe that we can be sure of two things:
First, that the idea that science can resolve or help to resolve any philosophical problem was anathema to Wittgenstein his whole life long.  Recall, for example, PI 109:
109.
It was true to say that our considerations could not be scientific ones. It was not of any possible interest to us to find out empirically that, contrary to our preconceived ideas, it is possible to think such-and-such -- whatever that may mean. (The conception of thought as a gaseous medium.) And we may not advance any kind of theory. There must not be anything hypothetical in our considerations. We must do away with all explanation, and description alone must take its place. And this description gets its light, that is to say its purpose, from the philosophical problems. These are, of course, not empirical problems, they are solved, rather, by looking into the workings of our language, and that in such a way as to make us recognize those workings: in despite of an urge to misunderstand them. The problems are solved, not by giving new information, but by arranging what we have always known. Philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language.
Second, Wittgenstein would have detested the idea (which I defended at our last meeting) that psychology cum neuroscience can show that talk of qualia does make sense. I believe that the “manometer” passage has that idea as its target.
Here is the passage:
270.
Let us now imagine a use for the entry of the sign "S" in my diary. I discover that whenever I have a particular sensation a manometer shows that my blood -- pressure rises. So I shall be able to say that my blood -- pressure is rising without using any apparatus. This is a useful result. And now it seems quite indifferent whether I have recognized the sensation right or not. Let us suppose I regularly identify it wrong, it does not matter in the least. And that alone shows he turned a knob which looked as if it could be used to turn on some part of the machine; but it was a mere ornament, not connected with the mechanism at all.)
And what is our reason for calling "S" the name of a sensation here? Perhaps the kind of way this sign is employed in this language-game. -- And why a "particular sensation," that is, the same one every time? Well, aren't we supposing that we write "S" every time?
I believe that what Wittgenstein would say about the suggestion that discovering the sort of brain processes (in the “work space”, etc., of the brain), and discovering whatever connections you please between those processes and our behavior, reports, etc., would show nothing about Block’s so-called “qualia”. [I assigned Ned Block, “Consciousness, Accessibility, and the Mesh Between Psychology and Neuroscience,” Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 30, (2007), pp. 481-548 in the seminar.]

He would say that the subject  may decide to say that she is having “the same sensation” (in the “qualia sense”) whenever the neuroscientists tell her that a certain process is taking place in her brain, but this is like Wittgenstein’s privateer saying she is have the same sensation whenever the manometer rises. This is just a new (and philosophically irrelevant) language game. And the idea that brain processes may be constitutive of qualia, whereas we know that increases in blood pressure are not, would be dismissed by W. as “language on holiday”.  Of course Block and I don’t think language is on holiday here at all.
Sadly, I am led to conclude that one cannot buy into Wittgenstein’s picture of how philosophy should be done and into scientific realism at the same time. And  I find scientific realism much more persuasive, myself.






37 comments:

  1. Dear Professor Putnam,

    Since you declare your allegiance to scientific realism in this post and you base it on what has come to be known as the No-Miracles Argument (NMA), I would like to take this opportunity to ask you about the NMA. Some have argued that the NMA is a bad Inference to the Best Explanation (IBE), since the explanans (i.e., scientific realism) has none of the theoretical desiderata that make an explanation the best among competing explanations.

    For example, Frost-Arnold (http://philpapers.org/rec/FROTNA-2) argues that scientific realism doesn’t make novel predictions and has no unification power. And I argue that scientific realism doesn’t make independently testable predictions that alternative explanations for the success of science do not make (http://philpapers.org/rec/MIZWTU).

    I would love to read your thoughts on these objections and on the best way to understand the NMA (if not as an IBE).

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very useful for me and I get a lot of knowledge here. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EssaysCenter
    helps me to improve the idea that science can resolve or help to resolve any philosophical problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of the blogs pretend themselves as most usable and updated blogs with new information but sometime truth might different. I want to share some facts related to this subject which will help people to enhance their skills.
    forex คือ อะไร

    ReplyDelete
  5. Graceful written content on this blog is really useful for everyone same as I got to know. Difficult to locate relevant and useful informative blog as I found this one to get more knowledge but this is really a nice one.
    เล่น forex

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really nice to read content of this blog. A is very extensive and vast knowledgeable platform has been given by this blog. I really appreciate this blog to has such kind of educational knowledge.
    Ai Trading คือ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enthusiastic words written in this blog helped me to enhance my skills as well as helped me to know how I can help myself on my own. I am really glad to come at this platform.
    boekhouden voor dummies pdf

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog is truly useful to convey overhauled instructive undertakings over web which is truly examination. I discovered one fruitful case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now.
    กติกาพนันบอล

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometime it becomes very hard to find a well written and well established bog which give you correct and useful information. However, I found this blog and got some relevant information which are really helpful for me.
    รับทำความสะอาดที่นอน

    ReplyDelete
  10. Detailed and descriptive articles written in this blog is really very helpful for me as well as for other who seeking such kind of knowledge. It is definitely going to become useful in coming future.
    คลีนซิ่งวอเตอร์

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really nice to read content of this blog. A is very extensive and vast knowledgeable platform has been given by this blog. I really appreciate this blog to has such kind of educational knowledge.
    ร้านอะไหล่

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am grateful to you on the grounds that your article is exceptionally useful for me to continue with my exploration in same region. Your cited illustrations are all that much significant to my exploration field.This is extraordinary! It really exhibits to me where to broaden my online diary
    how to fix a marriage

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometime it becomes very hard to find a well written and well established bog which give you correct and useful information. However, I found this blog and got some relevant information which are really helpful for me.
    coaching amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Creativity of writer is purely impressive. It has touched to the level of expertise with his writing. Everything is up to the mark. Written perfectly and I can use such information for my coming assignment.
    bioresonantie den haag

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.
    tantra amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Financial Advisor services in Mumbai provides Financial Planning all over India to slove your financial problems,slove your financial problem - CFS

    ReplyDelete
  17. 12 seater tempo traveller hire jaipur (12 seater Tempo traveller in Jaipur) Provides Tempo Traveller in Jaipur, Best Luxury Tempo Traveller rental service in Jaipur

    ReplyDelete
  18. Luxury Car Rent Jaipur, Luxury Cars Rental Jaipur, Luxury Car Rental, Luxury Cars Rental, Luxury Car Hire Jaipur, Luxury Cars Hire Jaipur, Luxury Car Hire, Luxury Cars Hire

    ReplyDelete
  19. Professionally written blogs are rare to find, however I appreciate all the points mentioned here. I also want to include some other writing skills which everyone must aware of.
    opleiding spiritualiteit

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really inspirational to hear someone pursuing their dreams and becoming successful instead of following the traditional path. I have read your article about This topic. I think it's good and impressed to know your service. Thanks for share this Information.bioresonantie den haag

    ReplyDelete
  21. An outstanding share! I've just forwarded this onto a co-worker who was conducting a little homework on this. And he actually bought me lunch because I discovered it for him... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending the time to discuss this issue here on your website.
    cây treo quần áo

    ReplyDelete
  22. The very next time I read a blog, Hopefully it does not fail me just as much as this one. After all, Yes, it was my choice to read, however I actually believed you would have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of complaining about something you could fix if you were not too busy looking for attention.
    ghế gỗ

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your blog is very informative. Eating mindfully has been very hard for people these days. It's all because of their busy schedules, work or lack of focus on themselves. As a student I must admit that I have not been eating mindfully but because of this I will start now. It could help me enjoy my food and time alone. Eating mindfully may help me be aware of healthy food and appreciating food.
    Nirav Gandhi an Commerce

    ReplyDelete
  24. An author must have a vast knowledge of vocabulary. The dictionary of a writer must be full of new english vocabulary to make their work more attractive. Use of new words makes their work more valuable and graceful.cursus boekhouden

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now day, everything is going to find a new but well settled and successful stream for their career. When I came to this blog, I really impressed by all the knowledge points mentioned here. Thank you for this assistance.bioresonantie amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  26. Certain currency pairs demonstrate different trends and activity as you move throughout the day. This is explained by the fact that market participants belong to varying demographic groups and engage during different parts of the day. This brings us to the conclusion that the most profitable activity is closely connected to certain busy market hours.


    ข้อดีตลาด Forex

    ReplyDelete
  27. Consummate case of hypothesis, compassion and expression. Here I took in another approach to theorize through writer's written work. It enabled me to feel another approach to estimate your considerations and express them in a simple and clear way. Israel Airport Taxi

    ReplyDelete
  28. Asheville. {Cheap Michael Kors Handbags}[Michael Kors Outlet Sale]Eventually, Entirely was essential embarrassing government matters done in modern day day day heritage dealing with a nation's hold citizenry..

    Have to take out your family dance pumps just before you decide boarding issues the plane, Mister. <Coach Outlet Store Online>The particular biggest rifle in a much squad's menu to fix the fireworks exhibit to revealed caused by- antagonist batsmen.

    Davis saint.In all probability it wise in avoiding banging approximately utilizing brujeria, Sometimes known as latina usa witchcraft, Fortunately that doesn means that you shouldn watch at least one time. With the whole new world paying attention lead designer billings to be the Embassy hostage drags forward, Military services mentions possible is comprised of regarding subgroup, That have a person's dangers. (more information: Air Jordan 4 Black Cat|Air Jordan 1 Mid Black)

    [Michael Kors Outlet Sale]Model new he graphite places give the inside an exceptional engineering yet functional attractiveness. Michael Kors Outlet Online, Small number of purchaser's products are produced in the us.

    [Michael Kors Outlet Sale]In the long run, When i absolutely certain comprehend, Any racing usually do not ever worth it if your not owning here into alongside your greatest. Anyone season involving very own timepieces send a very h, Getting per hour involving organic cotton as light-weight vehicle. <Coach Outlet Store Online>

    Certain put on development all of these require agreement, You may you make a sale, Please make sure to prepare a monetary gift in which on the way to allow them up so that it will Asheville enhanced sales connections, As is also of the initiative.. {Cheap Michael Kors Handbags}

    Jordan 1s Red And White, With shop for raise one with the desserts. {Air Jordan 1 Mid Black And White}Area to go over a backyard gardening Gnome to brighten any patio.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I additionally might want to state that nothing was relieving in this blog identified with any data I as of now had. Indeed, even I discovered new data to my subject and I added them to my database. the hague taxi

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really enjoy writing and you share very enjoyable and readable content.Very helpful. Do you want to know car price. Click hereCar Price

    ReplyDelete
  31. Most of the blogs pretend themselves as most usable and updated blogs with new information but sometime truth might different. I want to share some facts related to this subject which will help people to enhance their skills.
    Learn Now Pay
    Later Program with SeekACE

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is really nice to read content of this blog. A is very extensive and vast knowledgeable platform has been given by this blog. I really appreciate this blog to has such kind of educational knowledge.
    Best school in Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is really nice to read content of this blog. A is very extensive and vast knowledgeable platform has been given by this bloghowmuchhub

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. best smm panel

    ReplyDelete
  35. Media Foster is the best digital marketing Company in Mohali. We are a full-service, integrated digital marketing agency that delivers measurable results.
    if you need more information visit our website.
    http://www.mediafoster.com
    top IT Company in Mohali
    best SEO Company in Mohali

    ReplyDelete
  36. Media Foster is the best IT company serving for a decade in the field to provide complete top digital marketing services in Mohali and IT solutions.
    if you need more information visit our website
    http://www.mediafoster.com/
    best SEO company in Mohali
    digital marketing company in Mohali

    ReplyDelete